Every day, for the last few weeks, Ryder spends the first few moments of his morning pressed up against the sliding doors to our backyard.
“No snow,” he declares. “Go outside.”
If you could only see the little finger and nose prints I have to clean off every night! But it’s all in good fun – he’s just so looking forward to getting outside! And I can’t blame him…
According to Dr. Kathleen Alfano, Director of Child Research at Fisher-Price, there are numerous benefits to outdoor play, including:
- Playing outdoors is a form of exercise that promotes wholesome physical development
- Playing actively outdoors also increases flexibility, fine and gross motor skills and is related to the development of a wide variety of physical skills
- Toys that require balance and coordination, such as skates, scooters and bikes, teach children new skills, encourage the development of self-confidence and satisfy their interest in exploration
Before the rain settled in this past week, the boys and I enjoyed many late afternoons playing outside. I am continually amazed at the coordination of my little ones – Ryder is able to bend, stretch and roll around with ease, and Reid seems fearless while cruising along the patio set. In fact, on a daily basis, I can almost see them master new skills as they happen; learning to hit a ball from a tee, peddle with coordination, satisfy curiosity of new surroundings.
I can’t wait for the warmer (and drier!) weather to roll in… lots of outdoor play on the way!
Do you have a little boy who’d love to peddle away in a cool Thomas & Friends Kid-Tough Trike? Visit my friend Tammi over at My Organized Chaos for a chance to win this rugged trike! It’s got all the features you’re looking for: a wide, stable wheel base, easy-grip handlebars, big foot pedals plus great Thomas & Friends styling. There’s even a secret storage compartment under the seat!
But what if you’ve got a little girl? Don’t worry – I’ve got you covered on this one…
One lucky Canadian reader will win a Barbie Tough Trike! Tough enough for years of fun and adventure! The pretend key turns and clicks—there’s even a secret storage compartment under the comfort-ride seat for all her trinkets and treasures! Durable tires and rugged treads pair-up for “off-road” fun, plus it’s got all the essentials you look for in a trike: a wide, stable wheel base, easy-grip handlebars and big foot pedals.
To enter, simply visit Fisher-Price and choose your favourite outdoor toy (check off category to view), then leave a comment here telling us what it is!
You can also qualify for extra entries! Remember, you must leave a separate comment for each. You can:
(1) Follow my blog, Listen to Lena!
(2) “Like” Listen to Lena! on Facebook
(3) “Like” Fisher-Price on Facebook
(4) NEW Follow Listen to Lena! on Twitter
(5) Tweet about this giveaway (http://tinyurl.com/3m7kh4t). You may tweet daily.
I’ll draw for a winner on May 29th. Special thanks to Fisher-Price, and good luck!
I’m part of the Fisher-Price Play Panel and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.