beauty

Bar None

I carefully unwrapped the slippery package, pulling the fragrant bar to my nose, inhaling deeply. I recognized notes of sandalwood, citrus and musk – a decidedly masculine scent, but one I found appealing nonetheless. Placing the velvety smooth bar in its ceramic dish, I sighed with satisfaction.

“What is that?” asked Ryder, peering from behind me.
“What do you think it is?” I chided, confident he was just being silly, joshing with me.
“I don’t know,” he responded, reaching out to touch.

Playfully swatting his hand aside, I realized with a start that there was a very real chance that this was the first time Ryder was seeing a bar of soap.

Johnson’s Baby Body Wash. Bath & Body Works Hand Soap. Palmolive Dish Soap. Cars Bubble Bath.

Liquid, liquid, liquid… liquid.

Incredible! I thought. The boys have only been exposed to cleaning agents in their liquid form. In fact, the very bar of soap that I had unwrapped was the first of its kind to be displayed in my bathroom since before the boys were born. And just like that, an intriguing thought crossed my mind: one day, bar soap may be extinct.

Do you use bar soap? What are some products you’ve said goodbye to in your household?

66 Responses to “Bar None”

1. Heidi C.
    January 5, 2014 at 10:19 pm #

We don’t use bar soap at all. My daughter picked some up at the natural store recently and we were all oohing and aahing over the “novelty”.

January 8, 2014 at 8:01 am #

Hahaha that’s exactly what I had on hand – a bar of natural soap I couldn’t refuse because of the amazing fragrance!

2. Ella Pretty Blog
    January 5, 2014 at 11:48 pm #

I used to use Cetaphil bar soap on my face – and it worked great. And hubby simply refuses to use body wash – Irish Spring bar soap all the way…he even takes it on holiday with him (that’s commitment LOL!)

January 8, 2014 at 8:03 am #

LOL! That IS commitment – though I can’t fault him, I always bring along a hand soap!

3. Nicole W.
    January 6, 2014 at 1:41 am #

I do use bar soap! One of my closest friend designs all of the packaging for a local soap/lotion/etc. maker, and I’ve picked up a few of hers. I really like using it, it seems more “natural” to me somehow, compared to liquid hand soap. I love that it’s local, all natural, and that I get to support a local artisan! I also use a facial soap from Lush, which I ADORE. Also, my husband likes to use bar soap in the shower! The soapmaker we know makes a soap made with locally brewed beer – it’s awesome! It’s my husband’s new favourite!

January 8, 2014 at 8:04 am #

I love ALL the reasons you use local, natural soap!

4. Jenny
    January 6, 2014 at 2:56 am #

Now that you’ve mentioned it, a lot of our soaps are liquid! They are just so much easier to deal with. I hate how soaps (especially cheap ones) can get really soft and slimy after a while. I also get the impression that bar soaps are more drying for my skin though I’m pretty sure that that is not the case with most soaps but I’ve only ever tried cheap/affordable soaps. Regardless, I’m happy with our liquid soaps! I think I’ll forever remain a liquid-soap kind of person :)

January 8, 2014 at 8:05 am #

I’m a liquid soap kind of person because for some reason, I view them as more “hygienic” – even though the logical part of me says this is not the case, and that bar soap has been around for eons :)

5. Lynda Cook
    January 6, 2014 at 4:05 am #

the only bar soap that I have is my husbands, he doesn’t like the liquid, other than his it’s all liquid here.

January 8, 2014 at 8:07 am #

I think I actually used bar soap for longer than my husband :)

6. Janet W.
    January 6, 2014 at 6:26 am #

We stopped using bar soaps years ago. Liquid is much easier and faster to lather!

January 8, 2014 at 8:07 am #

Yes, I adore the lathering qualities of liquid – one of the reasons it’s everywhere in my house!

7. loriag
    January 6, 2014 at 8:23 am #

We use a combination in our house. Bar soap will not be extinct as I love home made soaps, I am all about their smells.

January 8, 2014 at 8:08 am #

Now that I’ve got a hand made soap in my bathroom, I’m beginning to feel that I need more of them!

8. Soozle
    January 6, 2014 at 9:38 am #

Oh my! I have never thought of that – but yes, I use basically all liquids.. I occasionally use bar soap in the shower – but it’s mostly liquid body wash! Huh! What an odd thought that bar soap is not a norm anymore

January 8, 2014 at 8:08 am #

I simply must check out the bar soap section at Walmart to see if it has whittled down in size since I last noticed…

9. nicolthepickle
    January 6, 2014 at 10:19 am #

We use bar soap all the time. I love homemade soap from the Farmers Market.

It’s not really a product, but my daughter has no idea who Santa Claus is. She thinks he’s the Christmas clown.

January 8, 2014 at 8:09 am #

Christmas clown – oh my! That’s precious!

10. Rosie
    January 6, 2014 at 12:44 pm #

I love bar soap! I have liquid available for guests. I’m not sure of a product I don’t use any more – I don’t tend to use cleaners, instead, I spritz water with a little fabric conditioner and use that to dust, as I love the fragrance of fabric softener, and everything smells fresh!

January 8, 2014 at 8:09 am #

I will definitely have to try that trick – thanks so much for sharing, Rosie!

11. Melinda L.
    January 6, 2014 at 12:50 pm #

Since you mentioned it, we very rarely use soap bars anymore. No wonder we were all intrigued when I picked up some homemade soap bars for my friend’s bridal shower.

January 8, 2014 at 8:10 am #

Yup, I know the feeling. I was looking for swag bag merchandise last year, and was ooohing and aaahing over the handmade soap bars.

12. Chandra Christine O'Connor
    January 6, 2014 at 1:15 pm #

my hubby using irish spring bars. I have ivory, and we also have when company the liquid soap.

• Chandra Christine O'Connor
      January 6, 2014 at 1:16 pm #

but I like it too (irish spring) lol

January 8, 2014 at 8:13 am #

I think I need to see if Irish Spring makes a body wash :)

13. DebH
    January 6, 2014 at 1:35 pm #

I haven’t said goodbye to bar soap; in fact I love bar soap. But I have said goodbye to paper towels!

January 8, 2014 at 8:14 am #

Interesting! What do you use instead of paper towels? I probably use too many!!!

14. Flora M
    January 6, 2014 at 2:16 pm #

Now this is something I haven’t given a thought to for a while – I still like to keep bar soap in the bathroom for guests (along with the liquid one) – that way they have their choice of what to use.
    It’s funny, I can still remember the smell of the bars of Lux soap my mother always used, and the Pears soap my Aunt always had. I actually saw both brands in a store not too long ago :o)
    I haven’t said goodbye to bar soap, but all the harsh chemical cleaners have been given the boot (except toilet bowl cleaner – I still like the Lysol or Toilet Duck for that icky job).

January 8, 2014 at 8:15 am #

Lux soap!! Totally brings back memories. Curious, what are some of the cleaners you use now?

15. Amy Heffernan
    January 6, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

lol Neat! We use bar soap here…

January 8, 2014 at 8:16 am #

:) Thanks for chiming in!

16. Tenille
    January 6, 2014 at 2:48 pm #

I recall having a convo with you about hotel bar soap (insert heebie jeebie sound here)!

No hand soup at the sink but we use it in the shower. Sink? Uh uh, just *think* of what is left behind….

January 8, 2014 at 8:17 am #

Uh… yes. I really need to do a post on that. And no.. I don’t want to think about that :)

17. Nadia
    January 6, 2014 at 2:52 pm #

You are so right! Body washes and liquids have taken reign in the bathroom. I’m partial to LUSH. You should take your boys there! they cut fresh bars right in front of you ;).

January 8, 2014 at 8:18 am #

I will! My husband and I were LUSH regulars until recently – but you’re right, I think the boys would love it!

18. Darlene Schuller
    January 6, 2014 at 3:21 pm #

We don’t use bar soap either not for bath or shower. What a great post! I’m going to have to show my 7 year old a bar of soap now and ask if she knows what it is..

few more years…. paper & a pen <3 lol

January 8, 2014 at 8:18 am #

Paper and pen for sure! And cursive writing. Do they even teach that anymore?

19. Judy C (Judy Cowan)
    January 6, 2014 at 3:50 pm #

We do still use bar soap in this house, we always have a bar of Ivory in the tub/shower – just something I grew up with. Mind you I think we do tend to use the Body Wash more.

January 8, 2014 at 8:19 am #

Curious – do you have both bar soap and body wash in your shower?

20. Lindsay T
    January 6, 2014 at 3:55 pm #

I make bar soap so it’s what we use in the shower (even my kids!) I love handmade soap!

January 8, 2014 at 8:19 am #

Love that you make it! Such a great way to get clean!

21. Stephanie LaPlante
    January 6, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

We both bars and liquid. I love smelly soaps.

January 8, 2014 at 8:19 am #

Me too – especially citrus smells (my fave)

22. Victoria Ess
    January 6, 2014 at 6:48 pm #

That’s so interesting! We actually started using bar soaps again quite recently after picking up some lovely ones from a few trade shows. I think the calculator is on its way out, asides from school settings.

January 8, 2014 at 8:20 am #

I really need to get my butt to the One of a Kind show this spring and pick up a few hand made soaps. They’re so lovely.

• Victoria Ess
        January 8, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

That’s where I got mine!!! Skinlicious soaps, Lena! I got multiple bars, and the owner was so knowledgeable on right soap for your skin.

January 8, 2014 at 12:45 pm #

Awesome, thanks so much for the recommendation, Victoria!

23. Athena
    January 6, 2014 at 7:27 pm #

That’s so true! I never thought about it but we mostly use liquids here also.

January 8, 2014 at 8:21 am #

Yup, if Ryder didn’t reach over and ask, I wouldn’t have thought about it!

24. Jennifer
    January 7, 2014 at 12:26 am #

I only use bar soap, I never feel clean with liquid soap. In fact, I received several body washes for Xmas and I am trying to use them up quickly. :-)

January 8, 2014 at 8:21 am #

SO interesting! What bar soap do you use? Is is the lather that makes you feel cleaner?

25. Tammy S
    January 7, 2014 at 10:30 am #

This is to funny! It always amazes me when something we take for granted is all brand new to my kids. We have an occasional bar of soap around the house. We usually use liquid soap in all the bathrooms of the house and in the kitchen.

January 8, 2014 at 8:22 am #

We have liquids EVERYWHERE, so it’s no surprise that it was brand new to my little guy!

26. Tara Gauthier
    January 7, 2014 at 11:00 am #

At the sink..NO! We have liquid pumps at all sinks, but the shower yes, we used dove bar soap.

January 8, 2014 at 8:22 am #

Dove bar soap is a good one – I have their body wash, LOL!

27. Christina
    January 7, 2014 at 10:29 pm #

Too funny! Never even thought of that. I use liquid soap :)

January 8, 2014 at 8:23 am #

:) Thanks for chiming in Christina!

28. Tooth Fairy
    January 8, 2014 at 11:18 pm #

I tend to still use the ivory bar soaps, buy them in bulk at Costco. Simple + basic pure ingredients I think? Maybe old skool, I realize many folks prefer liquid hygiene. I also like some chinese soap/sandalwood scent to put out on special occasion because I love the scent!

January 16, 2014 at 2:01 pm #

I like the simple and basic pure aspect. Never thought of it that way.

29. Wai K
    January 9, 2014 at 12:10 am #

I have more bar soaps than liquid soaps at my house. Basics like Jergens bar soap all the way to goat’s milk and glycerin bar soaps.

January 16, 2014 at 2:02 pm #

So interesting Wai! I would think that most people have done away with bars, but it’s refreshing to see I’m wrong!

30. Susan T.
    February 4, 2014 at 1:21 pm #

I love bar soap! It is so much better for the environment. I love ones from Lush and fancy French ones I pick up at Homesense.

February 9, 2014 at 2:26 pm #

I think I need to revisit Lush :)

31. francine
    February 5, 2014 at 10:46 am #

I use dove bar soap for hand washing but we use liquid soap for everything else… we used to use powdered soap for laundry but we stopped using it because liquid laundry detergent is better,

another thing we got rid of is our home phone. hubby and I each have a cell phone so it was a useless expense that we never used anyway. on the rare occasion the kids have a babysitter we leave one of our phones with the babysitter. even if hubby is at work he will leave his phone here that day just for the babysitter.

February 9, 2014 at 2:26 pm #

So interesting that you got rid of your home phone… but that is definitely another trend!

32. Rick F
    April 10, 2014 at 6:17 pm #

I still use my Dove bar soap in the washroom & shower.