fashion

Tales of a #FanGirl: Sherway Gardens

Some people talk about their kids. Others, their hobbies. Shopaholics talk about shopping malls. Of course.

My love affair with Sherway Gardens supersedes every relationship I’ve had in my life in terms of longevity and lust. (Well, perhaps my parents could be up there with the whole longevity thing… but Sherway Gardens is a very close second.)

It all began in April, 1978. I was born at the Queensway General Hospital (now known as Trillium Health Centre) which gosh darn it, happens to be RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from Sherway Gardens. You know how some infants turn towards the light? Or the sound of mommy’s voice? It’s a well documented fact that I turned towards the mall.

Years later, even after my family moved from Etobicoke to Mississauga, I still remember making the trek to “Simpsons” and “Eatons”. This was, of course, pre-Square One (gasp!) so driving 25 minutes to the nearest mall did not seem out of the ordinary. Of course, after being treated to Square One, which was literally around the corner from my childhood home, I began to forget about Sherway Gardens; opting instead to hang out at Mississauga’s destination for mallrats which was conveniently only a 5-minute bus ride away.

But then I met hubby (who was merely “boyfriend” at the time – that is, boyfriend with a bangin’ loft a stone’s throw from Sherway Gardens). I am not ashamed to admit I moved in after knowing him for about 10 minutes.

Alas, all good things must come to an end (the condo, not hubby and I) and once again I found myself in the ‘burbs – this time with a husband and family. So whenever we pop into my most favourite mall, like, ever, it’s always a treat! Yesterday we decided to spend a dull winter day cheered up by the sights and sounds of fashion.

Ah, Holt Renfrew. You do hold a special place in my heart. As much as I love your forward fashion designers, your revolutionary beauty lines and your avant-garde accessories, I cannot afford a damned thing in your store.

Above: Me posing in Holt Renfrew. Isn’t this sparkly tank SO ME? Alas, with a price tag of $310.00, I decided it was SO someone else.

Next, I passed The Art of Flowers, a fixture in the mall for decades. Lillies, gerbera daisies and roses from this little kiosk have brightened my home countless times. Quite simply the easiest way to make any day a special occasion.

Hello Mr. Weitzman. I was vaguely spellbound by the “Save up to 70%” sign in the window but decided to pass, reasoning that once inside, I’d have little control over my shopaholic tendencies (and didn’t strictly need animal-print boots).

On to Legs Beautiful, one of my very favourite stops at Sherway Gardens. It is a such a feel-good girly store, I normally grab at least a pair or two of novelty stockings. Yesterday, I was eyeing the featured looks for Valentine’s Day. LOVE.

A very necessary stop for Timmies coffee, ridiculously long lineup and all. Only 18 people ahead of me!

We enjoyed our coffees by the famous water fountains. Many pennies – and many wishes – have been cast into those waters over the years. Come to think of it, I could probably take back my pennies for “I wish for bigger boobies”, “I wish Danny would notice me” and “I wish mom would buy me that Beaver Canoe sweatshirt”.

Moving on. There was a Samsung Android in front of Bell. We tried to get Ryder to give him (it?) a high-five, but this is as close as he would venture. Can’t say I blame him.

“At the center, a 1,600 square foot promotional court, named Sherway Square, is infused with natural light from a 31 foot high skylight. This was, and continues to be, the heart of the centre’s activities including fashion shows, community events and other promotional activities.” Although yesterday… not so much.

However, I did receive an uninterrupted view of BCBG Max Azria’s promotional signage.

Of course, when one visits a shopping mecca, one must take the time to worship at the altar of one of its finest chapels. Beauty, thy name is Sephora.

Then I passed by my old obsession…

And skipped two doors down to my new obsession.

Just $295, this has birthday present written all over it. #want

All in all, a splendid afternoon spent at one of the happiest (and hippest) places on earth. Love the mashup of posh, practical and Pottery Barn. (And in case you were wondering, I wasn’t compensated by Sherway Gardens to gush about them. Just a good ol’ #fangirl.)

Click here to visit Sherway Gardens online.

30 Responses to “Tales of a #FanGirl: Sherway Gardens”

1. Kendra
    January 29, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

I’ve never been to Sherway Gardens but I think I will have to visit next time I am in Toronto!

January 29, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

Indeed you will! It is the perfect mix of haute couture and hot deals :)

• Tammi @ My Organized Chaos
      January 29, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

me too, Kendra!

January 29, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

Oh I will totally take you on a shopping date and show you a good time :)

2. AlexandraSD
    January 29, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

One of my favourite malls! Great pics gorgeous!

January 29, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

Thanks so much!

3. Kelly
    January 29, 2012 at 5:40 pm #

My FAVE mall too! And hell yes on the move from coach to MK. Love love LOVE!

January 29, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

Ha ha ha, a girl after my own heart. We’re not the only ones – MK was packed!

4. Shauna MacKenzie
    January 29, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

I love Sherway! Best selection of stores, whether you’re high-priced or bargain shopping. When I was there last weekend, I noticed an entire Beaver Canoe section in the Roots store!!! I was so tempted to buy a sweater, I can still remember my bubble gum pink one from back in the day :)

January 29, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

OMG!!! I can’t believe you just wrote Beaver Canoe. TOTALLY checking that out next time I’m in Roots, thanks! And yes I had a bubble gum pink one too!

(Though my lavender Coconut Joe top was my all-time fave)

5. Jenny
    January 29, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

So pretty Lena!

January 29, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

Thank you Jenny! We should plan a shopping date!

6. Tammi @ My Organized Chaos
    January 29, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

Next time I am in Toronto – you are taking me here!!
    And can I say those are the best photos ever?!
    I feel the #ShoppingLove

January 29, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

It is a DATE. And thank you – I guess you can say I’m in my element when I’m shopping! #obvi

7. Justine
    January 29, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

I have a love affair with Yorkdale Mall as you do Sherway Gardens, I used to live in the area in my teen years and too remember it having a Simpsons (which turned into The bay years later). It has all the stores that I need and has grown up so much in the past 20 years or so it’s crazy. Where I live now, I can make the trek on the subway 1 hour to get to Yorkdale, 1 hour to get to Sherway Gardens, 1 hour to get to Scarborough Town Centre (only ventured out there once and won’t again!), and about 20 minutes to get to Eaton Centre which is my mall of choice now.

I get so lost in Sherway Gardens though, an hour in there, turns into 3 very easily. :)

January 29, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

Aw Justine, loved hearing that story. I too remember the great big Simpsons at Yorkdale. And yes, even after 30+ years, I still get lost sometimes at Sherway, ha!

8. Frank
    January 30, 2012 at 6:32 am #

On of the best malls around, need a Holts Renfrew in every mall!

January 30, 2012 at 7:48 am #

Oh I love Holt’s, and I love their sales even more :)

9. the brother
    January 30, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

i contend that this article was posted to debut your new coat in action lol!

anyone remember that the the sherway mcdonalds was once tucked away with a coin fountain/pond in one of the dark corners of the mall? i was too young to remember exactly which end but this would be before the ‘new’ food court of the mid-90s debuted. i’m glad the pickle barrel grand took over the old casey’s spot but i still miss gems like the il fornello. i worked around the corner from 1998-2010 and i miss it. sherway is serene compared to the madness over at Yorkdale!

the theatres across the street where the Sears Home outlet is now, in front of Jack Astors’, were awesome too.

January 30, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

You caught me – guilty as charged!

Hmmm… my brain is processing what you’re saying and I do have faint memories of a McD’s near a coin fountain. Will have to concentrate harder.

Oh yeah, Sherway is WAY more tame next to Yorkdale, and I never have to contend with 401 traffic either! Though I do see a Yorkdale post in my near future… and Square One, and Erin Mills… lol. Maybe that should be my new gig, the travelling mallrat :)

10. Karina
    January 30, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

Loooove Sherway! I will so fight you for the MK bag.

Since my money no longer goes to over priced diaper bags (Yay for potty training) am so glad I can feed my need for designer bags again. :)

January 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

Girl, I am with you on the whole designer bag resurrection. Yay for toilet training! Let’s not fight over the MK bag; we’ll both buy it and be twinsies :)

11. Jennifer
    January 30, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

OMG I don’t think I could afford one store in that mall! lol eek! lol and yes, my Australian brother in law showed up at Christmas with a beaver canoe sweatshirt, it looked exactly how the used to only this one was shiny and new! I couldn’t believe my eyes!!!!

January 30, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

LOL you are not alone friend! Thankfully there is a healthy mix of affordable stores amongst the ones that I love to window shop at. Can’t believe the Aussies are sporting Beaver Canoe! Classic!

12. Felicia
    February 1, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Sherway Gardens is my fave mall as well. Plus it is the closest mall to me as I am now an Etobicokian. I also love the family washrooms and nursing rooms (back in the day).

Yes, you need to check out the Beaver Canoe sweats in the Roots store. Hilarious! I did a triple take when I saw them.

My little ones love running around Sherway Square as well.

I’ll have to keep a lookout for you the next time I am there. I am more of a Booster Juice kind of gal though.

February 2, 2012 at 8:16 am #

Welcome Etobicokian! Ha ha love that. I am so on the whole Beaver Canoe thing this weekend. Happy we have the same taste in malls!

13. Marissa
    February 5, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

Great pictures Lena. I love Sherway Gardens – I could spend the whole day in the mall and not get tired. They have such lovely designer stores. Even just window shopping is a treat for the eyes!

February 5, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Sherway Gardens is probably my favourite mall for window shopping too :)

14. Judy C
    July 2, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

I have never been to Sherway Gardens but I will have to remember it for the next time we are in Toronto