fashion

See Snow; Think SKECHERS

For most Canadians, snow hasn’t been a major concern this winter… yet. With measurements of the white stuff in record lows, I’ve been crossing my fingers that we can bypass this whole winter wonderland thing entirely. I know, wishful thinking.

A few months ago, anticipating that I’d eventually have to face the cold hard truth, I started shopping for Ryder’s new boots. The thing is, I didn’t really know where to begin. We had long been fans of flexible-soled footwear, but with his feet growing at an alarming rate (size 11 already! He’s only 3 years old!) Ryder was well out of toddler tootsies.

So I asked moms of school aged children – which boots should I buy for my little guy with big feet?

Surprisingly, a LOT of them responded with “SKECHERS”.

Really? When I think of SKECHERS, I think of the Shape-ups walking shoes that help my butt stay fabulous. I also think of seriously hot casual shoes, comfy semi-formal shoes, and super cute winter boots. For women. To tell you the truth, I didn’t even know that SKECHERS made boots for little boys.

Turns out I was living under a rock. And not just any rock, but the Rock of Gibraltar. Because apparently, not only does SKECHERS make boy’s boots, but they also happen to be an industry leader, and their entire line of boy’s footwear has quite the cult following. #oops

What makes them so special? Consider this:

Waterproof leather and synthetic upper
Textured leather with smooth and metallic synthetic overlays
Waterproof seam sealed design
Three strap front for easy adjustment
Adjustable hook and loop closures for easy access
Padded collar and padded gussetted tongue
Soft fabric boot lining with durable fabric front panel
Insulated with 200g Thinsulate(R) lightweight thermal material
Temperature rated to -10 degrees F/-20 degrees C
Shock absorbing midsole
Flexible rubber lug traction outsole

There’s more (seriously!). See the entire list of features here.

And so when we received the very cool Boys’ Wyndham – Bartel to check out, let’s just say we were both thrilled to bits. I loved them for – well, everything listed above – and Ryder, who has recently become very fashion conscious, loves his new look. Because we just recently had our first snowfall which actually stuck to the ground, the little guy had a chance to model them for me!

Visit SKECHERS Canada to find a retailer near you. There’s still lots of winter left (sigh), so if your kiddo’s boots aren’t up to snuff, there’s still time to get ‘em into a quality – and stylish – pair of SKECHERS winter boots. The boots retail for about $50-60, which is on par with most elite brands. Of course, it’s also the perfect time to look for sales – and purchase for next winter!

20 Responses to “See Snow; Think SKECHERS”

1. Julia
    January 22, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

Interesting. I have always loved Cougar boots for kids. I may have to track these down for my oldest daughter or son who both need mid season replacements and try for myself.

• Lena
      January 23, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

I really think you’ll like the Julia. Definitely amazing quality and Ryder says his toes are very warm!

2. Joy
    January 22, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Woah! Who knew? I’ve always loved them for casual shoes, didn’t even realize they did boots! Gonna have to check them out. Thanks for the heads up!

Warmest regards,
    Joy
    Pardon My Poppet ~ Pip Squeaks from the Mummy-verse!

3. Tammi @ My Organized Chaos
    January 22, 2012 at 9:27 pm #

Ummm, I have to admit, I never thought of that either. I detest/hate the selection of winter boots for kids. It seems they are cute and not that warm or vice versa – I want both!!! Despite spending weeks searching for the kids this fall, I still don’t like the ones I chose.

I WILL keep this in mind, and telling other Moms too – what a ‘duh’ realization, thanks for the smack on the forehead.

• Lena
      January 23, 2012 at 11:49 am #

I totally feel your pain. The cutest ones are often the flimsiest! Good luck – and thanks for helping to spread the word!

4. Jennifer
    January 22, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

I wonder why they felt a need to write ‘waterproof’ across the front of the boot? bragging rights on the school yard? oh wait, he can’t read yet! lol okay all joking aside those sound like really great boots for little feet! we love to buy a quality boot to pass down to all three boys. I’m sure you can relate!

• Carlee
      January 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm #

I was thinking the same thing Jennifer.

• Lena
      January 23, 2012 at 11:49 am #

Ha ha ha, I never thought about that! Maybe as an advertisement to other moms? :)

5. Diana - Teacher Mom
    January 22, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

Those are some schnazzy looking boots. I didn’t know Skechers made kids’ boots either. I will definitely keep that in mind the next time I’m booting shopping for the kids.

• Lena
      January 23, 2012 at 11:50 am #

It looks like a lot of moms were surprised to learn they made awesome boots. Definitely check them out!

6. Helen
    January 22, 2012 at 10:46 pm #

Yikes! I’m with the majority here – had no idea that Skechers made boots for kids (or adults for that matter). Your son is adorable and models the boots very well!

• Lena
      January 23, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Thanks so much Helen!

7. Carlee
    January 22, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

Both my son and daughter have Sketchers boots! They are such good quality and you will have no problem handing them down. Size 11 is quite long for a 3 year old, you may have a basketball player on your hands!

• Lena
      January 23, 2012 at 11:51 am #

That is AWESOME. So much fun to hear from satisfied customers! And yeah, he’s growing like a weed.

8. Jenny
    January 23, 2012 at 9:05 am #

Those boots are so stylish, and they look really warm. Great find Lena.

• Lena
      January 23, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Thanks Jenny!

9. SassyModernMom
    January 23, 2012 at 10:54 am #

Oh so cute!! Must go do some shopping right now. My Dear daughter is in need of a new pair in mid winter. Little kids grow so darn fast!

• Lena
      January 23, 2012 at 11:51 am #

They do! SKECHERS makes fabulous boots for girls, check them out!